Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

SOC Sunday ~ I Need the Internet and the Internet Needs Me

Today’s Writing Prompt: How has the internet changed your life – professionally and/or personally?


The writing prompt comes from Stream of Consciousness Sunday, hosted by AllThingsFadra. It's a 5-minute free write. Publish your stream of consciousness, then link up at Fadra's website for an SOC Sunday blog hop. 


Are you kidding me? Without the Internet, I have no career. 


My "day" writing/editing job is a telecommuting position. I live in the Great Lakes region, but the company I freelance for is in California. Obviously, I would have major commuting problems if it weren't for the Internet. I work from home, doing all my work online. 


As for my creative writing - well, I know writers accomplished their craft for thousands of years before the Internet was invented, but that doesn't mean I want to return to the traditional route. Sure, Ernest Hemingway never Tweeted about his latest work in progress - but I'm glad I can. 


I remember the typewriter ; my parents got me an electric typewriter as an eighth grade graduation gift. But I don't want to go back to the days of Wite-Out and hand-written corrections. Give me the ability to blog and live-Tweet any time. It helps me connect with other writers and potential readers. 


The Internet is an awesome research tool, too. Sure, I remember how to go to the library and use the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature. I still do, sometimes. Rachel's blog title is accurate: You Just Can't Google Everything. Libraries are still an awesome resource - and fun, too. 


I'm still glad I can Google almost everything. 

1 comment:

a.eye said...

It really is impressive all the information you can find on the internet! It has helped people so much with not just work and research, but also life sicknesses and finding old friends.