Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Pinning/Oh, How Pinteresting ~ Theme TK

On Mondays I hook up with Pinning! at A Night Owl Blog/Baxtron{Life}

On Wednesday, it's Oh, How Pinteresting! at The Vintage Apple. 

I've had the hardest time coming up with a theme for today's post! After several abortive attempts (I did one with magazine covers and one with comic book characters, but I wasn't happy with either one of them), I just have to come to the conclusion that today's post was meant to be random. 

I think studying geography, history and trivia for my upcoming Jeopardy! tryout has pushed the creativity out of my brain for the moment. 

I still haven't seen the Hunger Games movie, but it's at the top of my Netflix queue. 


Having just finished watching the entire series Lost, I can tell you that my fondest Catching Fire hope is still that Michael Emerson will play Beetee in the movie. I liked Ben Linus way more than I was supposed to, seeing as he was the villain. He can quote Steinbeck extensively (which is hot). 


My very first date when I was a young teen took me to the '90s movie version of Of Mice and Men, with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich in it. It's so not a romantic movie. 

Ben was wrong about one thing, though: Ernest Hemingway never fought in the Spanish Civil War. Hemingway drove an ambulance, exactly like Frederic in A Farewell to Arms. This is an upcoming edition that will showcase some of the many and various endings Hemingway wrote for it. 


...as portrayed in In Love and War. If you haven't seen it, do. Sandra Bullock and Chris O'Donnell - what's not to like? 


If you go to Hemingway's childhood home in Oak Park, Illinois, you'll see his first book, Cat, which he wrote and illustrated when he was four. If he had gone on to write children's bedtime stories:


Yoda's reading material is a little more instructive.


This makes me laugh, because I had a fit this morning over a sign that abbreviated et cetera as ect. Yikes - pet peeve alert. Isn't it common knowledge that et cetera is Latin for and others, and isn't the Latin word for and, et, pretty easy to remember?!? 

That said, you have my complete sympathy if you have a learning disability and/or if your life circumstances did not allow you to have the education you would have preferred - I do not in any way mean to mock or belittle people in these cases. I'm not trying to be a jerk. 



This always happens when I go to the movies.


The last few movies I've been to (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Magic Mike, if I remember aright) have been proceeded by previews for the new (U.S.) Sherlock Holmes series, with Lucy Liu as Watson. I look forward fondly. I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, too. 


I so wanna read this - but it's unavailable in the U.S. 

I'll leave you with this thought: a history of mosquito-borne illnesses in American literature, parts 1 and 2. Part one: Henry James.


"Welcome to Europe, Americans. Quickly accede to European social mores or you'll contract a subtropical disease and DIE."

Part two: James Jones. 


"Welcome to Guadalcanal, Americans; you now have malaria. Shake it off; the medical aide tent is reserved for life-threatening gunshot wounds." 

5 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Hey Erin - Informative post as always. What did you think of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer? It was an okay movie, but I like to think that IS what happened :)

Erin O'Riordan said...

I liked it, but then, I really enjoyed the book. I liked the suggestion at the end that President Obama is also being groomed as a slayer. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but it was entertaining.

I'm looking forward to reading Seth Grahame-Smith's next novel, 'Unholy Night,' even though Grahame-Smith's screenplay for 'Dark Shadows' really disappointed me.

Unknown said...

Hahah, I love the Yoda graphics. And the ect. thing is a pet peeve of mine too. Ughhh it's bothering me just typing it here LOL.

Brittany said...

Love your pins. The popcorn is my favorite bc it always happens to me.

Courtney said...

Popcorn pin = the truth!!