Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What I'm Reading and Watching ~ Mini Update

Construction-related phone company issues in my neighborhood have temporarily taken down my wifi, but while I'm able to connect I thought I'd check in with a short post about what I'm reading and a movie I saw over the weekend.

At book spot #1 (the comfy spot on the couch), I just finished:



Taking its place on the couch will be:


That's my fun paranormal romance. (I hope it's fun. It should be - I've never read a bad Kate Douglas.) In reading spot #2, I have my Serious Literature:


I'm about 100 pages into the sequel to Shanghai Girls, a book that my grandmother, mother and I all read. When I finish it, I plan to read the last book I purchased at Barnes and Noble, which was Divergent by Veronica Roth. (Emma at Bubblymuppet recently read Divergent. And so did A Country Girl's World.)

For review, I'm reading this e-book on my laptop:


This is a new(ish - it took me about a year to get around to reading it) series from the author of Ivan and Marya. When I finish that, I'll read Miss Underworld by Racquel Kechagias, an Australian author, for review. 


The movie I saw on Saturday was Silver Linings Playbook. I liked it. I liked Tiffani; when she said, "There will always be a part of me that is dirty and sloppy, but I like that, just like all the other parts of myself," I knew she was a character I could identify with. The whole things was very well-acted, and Jennifer Lawrence is especially talented. It's nice to see her in roles other than Katniss Everdeen (although of course I love Katniss). 


But I am getting a little embarrassed at the number of book-based movies I'm seeing without having read the book first. I think I would like this as a book, though. I might read it some day. I read The Prestige after seeing the movie, and if anything I was glad I'd seen the movie first. 

I don't think I'm going to read the Castor Chronicles series, but I do plan to see the Beautiful Creatures movie in the near future. 

No comments: