Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

'The Lullaby of Polish Girls' by Dagmara Domińczyk #ReadWomen #BookReview

The Lullaby of Polish GirlsThe Lullaby of Polish Girls by Dagmara Domińczyk

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Maybe I'm biased in favor of this book because I'm a Polish-American, with nearly every ancestor on my mother's side of the family emigrating from Warsaw in the early 1900s. It might help that I know simply phrases like "Dzien dobry" without having to look them up. Maybe I'm biased in favor of this book because I love The Count of Monte Cristo and the movie version in which the author starred as Mercedes. Either way, I felt attached to the characters from the very first page.

The writing flowed smoothly, never distracting me from the absorbing tale of three very different women who became friends as children. Their paths diverged, then all came back together. I thought it was a well-crafted novel as well as a well-written one.

 I chose to read it in December 2015 as part of the #ReadWomen initiative, but I'd recommend it at any time, to anyone who loves a good story.

No comments: